Friday, April 27, 2012

Soil mix for Raised Beds




  I have two beds that have just been put together. Both beds are the same size 4 foot by 16 foot long and empty ready to be filled. I like to start filling them with peat moss I add a 3 cubic foot bag in each bed.
 
 Next I add some good compost.



 Then some rock dust. This is granite. I purchased this granite at a sand and rock company it is a finely sifted granite. Five to Ten percent of the bed will be filled with rock dust
 Next a few bags of manure. Mix well and keep adding manure, peat moss, compost, rock dust, vermiculite or perlite until filled.


 When I fill my raised beds my formula is 10 percent rock dust 5 percent will work but I like 10 percent best and this you can get at your local cement company or rock and sand company if you have your own truck it is very affordable about 10 to 20 bucks for a half yard I like granite or volcanic cinder sand but river rock crushed and fine screened is good. Next 40 to 50 percent will be compost. Then comes the other 40-50 percent I suggest peat moss and vermiculite or perlite a good mix of both would be best.
 And thats it add water and a good heirloom tomato and you will be rocking some killer tomatoes... lol later dayz...   dusty... In the next few weeks I will mix up my container mix. It is very simular but with a little more vermiculite or perlite and I use azomite as my rock dust in this mix at about one pound per square foot.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Dusty,

    All the best with those raised beds. You are so organised but I guess you have to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dusty - I really enjoy your posts. I see you have copyrighted your logo. I have a question about that. Did you consult with someone about filling out the copyright form, or did you just fill it in online and copyright your logo there?

    Thanks in advance for any helpful info you have. If you would like to email me about this instead, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother designs advertising and he put together the logo's and did all the grunt work,lol he is pretty good at it...

      Delete
  3. It looks like you are only putting the best ingredients into your raised bed! (=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... the new beds will do well this season the worms are already making them selves home in it....

      Delete