Sunday, September 27, 2015

Growing Tomato plants in Bags ???

   You love your home grown tomatoes and think you can't grow them in your area to rocky to much clay? Hmmm well maybe you can... This season I am playing around with my tomato plants besides trying to grow some extra large tomatoes I am going to grow them in 1 cubic foot potting soil bags.







   After digging a hole wide enough and deep enough I punch a bunch of holes with a phillips screw driver for drainage then I put the bag of potting soil in the hole.




    I am going to plant several tomatoes this way. In this row I will place six bags in holes





   Next I cut the tops off the bags and add water. I want to soak the soil over night making sure the soil is soaked up all the moisture it can.





   Another angle and as you can see I put what we call T post next to the bag to hold the tomato cages and my EZ wall plant protectors. I use EZ wall plant protectors not only for frost protection but for wind protection.




    All together I am going to plant about 25 tomato plants like this in different areas of the garden so I can not only see how each is doing but I am going to feed these tomatoes a variety of fertilizers to see which fertilizers do best in my clay based soil.





   One of the two different Potting Soil mix's that I am using. I am using potting mix it works better in this application than just garden soil.
















     Well the tomatoes did very well grown in the bags fabulous root system. I did feed them every other week with a 4-6-5 organic fertilizer. In the spring I watered every three to four days, during the summer I watered every other day.  Next season I am going to do  the same except I am going to plant closer together and I am going to prune the tomato plants....thanks and hope this helps ....Dusty

2 comments:

  1. Wow this method for growing tomatoes is great, those ones are massive. I hope mine do better this year.

    Hot day here tomorrow 100.4F and the next day even hotter. That will be a good test for my garden beds and plants to see how they hold up with the heat.

    Tania@Out Back

    ReplyDelete