Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tomato wind protection

  My biggest concern with my tomatoes in the spring is WIND protection. Most of my tomato fatality's are caused by the wind. A sustained wind of just a few miles per hour can murder your young tomato plants very quickly.
 A whole host of problems are out there in the spring to kill your plants from late frosts to insects here is a suggestion for my biggest problem the wind.
 This is just some cages we make out of wire we wrap a layer of fabric around the cages. This fabric is a weed barrier we purchased at home depot. We like it because it breaths well so it doesn't get to hot. All were doing here is wrapping the weed barrier around the wire taping it on and were done. So easy so simple.
 In just a few weeks we will take this fabric off and let the plants go. Young tomato plants need protection from the wind for at least 3 to 4 weeks. You will have better earlier tomatoes enjoy....  Later dusty






4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post...I'll be trying this. I grow my tomatoes in a lakeside garden in Maine where there are high winds all during the growing season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really works well in our gardens and I think it will for yours also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live in Chino Valley AZ and I loved this simple idea so much I'm trying it with a few cherokee purples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so easy and works great also if you haven't hardened your seedlings off real well just cover the tops of the cages for a few days....I have a step daughter that also lives in Chino Valley great place lots of really great gardens / gardeners in that area of the state great climate for growing things for sure....

      Delete