Sunday, November 20, 2011

Harvesting Horseradish Grown in Barrels





 Hello everybody it is another one of my most favorite times of the year. We have had a few frosts which means it is time to harvest the horseradish.yeah... This is the time of the year when the horseradish can get nuclear hot. lol..It doesn't get any better then right now. The longer you keep it stored the cooler it gets. If properly prepared it will take the air right out of you.  PERFECT.
 I grow my horseradish in barrels because horseradish can be so invasive it will spread like fire and take over your garden beds.
  The barrels I use are 55 gallon plastic I cut them in half and poke a few holes in the side of the barrel close to the bottom but not on bottom. I fill them with compost, vermiculite, rock dust and in this case I do use the azomite brand for my rock dust. I feel these up almost all the way with this mixture. Horseradish loves good compost.
  I like to use pieces of horseradish root about 5 to 8 inches long. The bigger the pieces are when you start the bigger they are at the end of the year.  I tilt the horseradish root at a 45 degree angle when I plant them. I add some bone meal then plant them I like to cover them with about two inches of compost. Water the horseradish and your good to go. I usually plant mine early in the spring or after I have harvested.
  There is not much that messes with my horseradish. Flea beetles try but I usually spray a little BT garden spray {Bacillus Thuringiensis} and that takes care of that. Another popular organic spray is Spinosad also very effective on garden pests that eat or chews leafs.

No comments:

Post a Comment