Monday, March 12, 2012

Heirloom Tomatoes and Open Pollinated Tomatoes dominate this years selections for my garden

  I have been going over and over seed catalogs as well as conversations with other local gardeners on just what types and varieties of tomatoes I should bring to the local farmers market this year. After digesting information on this subject from locals as well as seasoned tomato market growers. I have decided to grow around 50 varieties but I am mainly going to concentrate on the smaller cherry tomatoes and the paste tomatoes.
  My research perimeters and areas I put in place brought me to this point. And they were ease of growth, earliness of harvest,  tomato varieties that could take a small ride without bursting. Then I had to think about packaging I found it easy enough to find pint containers. My idea is to sell tomatoes by the pint and quart just fill them up with any tomato variety and there will be a set price per pint and quart.
 As far as the paste tomatoes and larger varieties they also could be purchased the same but I am expecting to sell by the case or lug for the local bottlers at a more reasonable price for large purchases also for the tomatoes with blemishs. ( a lug of tomatoes is 32 pounds).
  The varieties I have chosen are mainly Cherry Tomatoes and Paste but there are a few larger types of tomatoes that I will grow. I believe I have 3 hybrids and the remaining tomatoes will be heirloom and open pollinated. I do have some crosses that I am growing out that should be interesting that I have picked up along the way from friends. I am hoping to have photos of lots of tomatoes this year.
  I am so excited to start this year. I broke my ankle Febuary 2nd and I have been running behind ever since but I am hoping the Doctor will let me start therapy on my leg so I can get things in the garden rolling. I will start planting my tomato seeds in the next couple of weeks so I have 6 to 8 weeks to get things in shape. lol
 The Cherry tomatoes I choose were from 1 to 3 oz   I will also have just about every color under the sun. If there is any interest I will post the names of each that I have chosen to plant this year...later Dusty...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your broken ankle Dusty and hope you are on the mend now...All that talk of those tomatoes just makes me feel hungry-fingers crossed now on a bumper crop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Green Dragonette I hope things go good knock on wood....break a leg...opps done that.

      Delete