Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Garlic in barrels and I am starting some compost.

 It is a busy time for a gardener but I thought I would show you a few photos. I love this flowering apple tree.
   Growing garlic in barrels it is pretty easy.



 The garlic looks great this year. I planted some in these half barrels and there doing excellent.
This is my daughter and she just loves helping her dad shovel chicken poop and straw. lol She is tossing it on a pile to make some compost. A layer of greens a layer of browns about 4 inches thick and several layers of it...
  Add a little water and turn in a few weeks add more water and turn and before you know it we will have some more compost...woo hoo..
  Well two days later and the compost heap is starting to heat up nicely....

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you got yourself quite the helper there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep but I really don't think she was enjoying it very much. lol A shame but I guess shoveling chicken poo isn't what a young lady likes to do...

      Delete
  2. Something I need to do is get my compost heap sorted. Don't think I'd need to add water in Northern Ireland as we've lots of rain. I grow alot of veg in containers and find it a great way to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain...What is rain? lol we don't see much of that around here.lol

      Delete
  3. Hi Duty,

    I grow my garlic in pots and they seem to grow fine each year.
    Wish I could have a helper around my place to make compost!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been a terrific help for me. I really have appreciated all help she has given me. Besides her being a really good kid.. wow I am such a lucky dad...

      Delete